Friday, February 24, 2006

BlackBerry Bull$#@&

After all of the hype, all of the pontification and all of the published stories the judge does nothing in the NTP vs. RIM case. Nothing.

Within five minutes of the news breaking RIM stock was up 10% and tech analysts were scratching their heads. The one outcome that couldn’t happen – happened. That is the judge that has been pushing both parties to settle their dispute came out with the BIG HAMMER and said, “settle your dispute, and I mean it this time.” What is up with that? He’s already said that and NTP has already won a judgment against RIM.

Maybe I’m way off base. I’m not an attorney and I didn't go to law school, but it seems that with all the hype leading up to today, that a concrete course of action should have been determined and enforced by now.

I believe all consumers (both large corporations and individual users) were expecting a definitive answer in this case. Communicating with a BlackBerry device is not only addictive, it’s a NECESSARY business tool. Forget the jokes about “crack” and "thumbs,” this little device is my computer when my laptop is not on or in reach.

It’s also my phone, calendar and insures I can find anyone, at any number, in my little world. I deserved an answer today and so did anyone else carrying a BlackBerry product. If the new Motorola Q was on the market I’d go buy it and dump this 8700c in a minute. When an answer to this case does come, do I have an hour of connectivity? 30 days? No one knows.

I’m ready to move on and I wouldn’t mind having the service turned off at this point. I’d have a story that I could tell all around the country “where were you when BlackBerry service was shut off?” After sharing war stories I could then turn to my new Motorola Q with mobile versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook, and listen to my favorite tunes in Windows Media 10 too.

I've done it before and I can do it again, as long is I can check, reply and send an email with one hand, I have to have that feature...

TK

No comments: