Wednesday, December 27, 2006

E-mail Etiquette Matters!: Stay Away from Sarcasm in E-mail

I've received my share of nasty emails over the years and have made an art of crafting them! (That means so nasty from my end, recipients don't even get that I'm slamming them. I don't recommend it.

However, one of the worst things you can do is write an email laced with sarcasm. Judith Kallos writes about email etiquette and she posted this article on the topic of sarcasm in email on her blog. Check it out:

E-mail Etiquette Matters!: Stay Away from Sarcasm in E-mail

The challenge using sarcasm in spontaneous writing (such as email), is that it is not easily detected. The written word is void of tone, gesture and a quick opportunity to add clarifying comments.

"Say" something wrong in an email and you may have an upset recipient for a longer period of time than you'd like. There are symbols such as :) or ;) that aid in disarming sarcasm, but they don't appear to be very professional to me.

My advice - skip the sarcasm is business related email and use it sparingly in all other email correspondence.

TK

No comments: